return

Return to peasantsplot.com

Thursday, June 17, 2010

From Megan


Well, it's been business as usual down on the farm! We've spent the last week or so weeding, harvesting, and a wee bit of seeding. I myself tend to be a fan of random, one-time farm projects like building things, setting up trellising, and even laying down straw mulch with the knowledge that this bed is one that I shan't have to hoe. But there is something to be said for routine. Part of which comes to mind every time we are deeply entrenched in some said one-time project where nothing seems to be going right and we all feel like we have no idea what we are doing. It is not uncommon during these moments that I find myself longing to be mindlessly weeding and getting a job done that I know how to do. Se la vie; pulling weeds is suddenly romanticized when one is trying and failing to square, plumb, and level a greenhouse for the first time.


But I do try to always enjoy the experience. While baking in the sun hand-weeding carrots for countless hours I remind myself how lucky I am to be outside all day, every day, all summer long. My livelihood is what most people consider a retreat, look forward to on their "down time" and savor every fleeting moment of. I am very grateful to be able to live this life, and to be sharing it right now with all the wonderful folks who traipse around these fields.
meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment