return

Return to peasantsplot.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First Market of the Year

Whew!  First markets are under our belt and we feel…. fatigued.  Yet spirited!
There was only a little bit of the drama we anticipated.  Mostly it was just great to see friends and market folks from last year.  I will be doing most of my food shopping at the markets this year, too, and am excited to have a few meat sources.
A customer asked me about the taste difference between the red Russian kale and the green curly.  After trying to complete three sentences without success, I had to admit to myself and the customer that I HAVE NOT COOKED WITH THE RED RUSSIAN KALE YET.  I am the barefoot child of the shoemaker.
We added another Russian relic to our table this year.  Todd made a few wooden totes with our new logo (yet to be integrated) that includes a sickle.  We do realize the inflammatory nature of this symbol since it is often paired with a hammer to represent the Communist party.  On its own, the sickle represents the agricultural class or the peasantry.  By calling ourselves “peasants” we are not self-deprecating nor declaring ourselves communist.  We are trying to reclaim a word for its original meaning and association.  Similarly, alongside many others like us and like you, we are trying to reclaim the dignity of agriculture.
We aren’t communists.

No comments:

Post a Comment