return

Return to peasantsplot.com

Friday, July 23, 2010

Beets In Public

Sometimes I eat in the country.  Sometimes I eat in town.
For those that don’t know, I hold an off-farm job still.  I often find myself doing errands along the shopping strip that defines a nearby town.  In the Target a couple of days ago, I sat in their café and opened up my amazing sandwich of beet spread and basil leaves.
If you’ve ever opened up a beet spread sandwich and tried to eat it in a public space before, then you will relate to the difficulty and near spectacle created by bright fuchsia and deep red blobs pouring out all over face and hands.   The fact that mung bean sprouts were toppling out everywhere, too, didn’t make things less conspicuous.  It felt natural and necessary to apologize to my onlookers while I quickly hid the evidence.
The above maneuver went over a little better yesterday at a different public sitting area.  I began by engaging a few nearby people in small talk and then explained the sandwich prior to unveiling it.
Beet juicing is even more of a bloody mess but worth it.
And, of course:
Equally alarming is the situation in the toilet, which is a perfectly normal bodily response.
-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment