return

Return to peasantsplot.com

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Certification Time

This past Tuesday, a customer read our sign “we use no synthetic chemicals in our soil or on our plants” and asked me to explain.  I stuttered for a minute because I thought Todd and I had finally figured out a succinct way of saying we are organic without saying we are organic.  I thought we finally figured out the most perfect simple credo by defining the most basic aspect of organic:  No synthetic chemicals. 
Yet this customer reads our credo and is still confused.  “This stuff isn’t grown organically, right?”
I say “Yes, in fact it is.  That is what the sign means.” 
Under the hot sun on the hard black pavement I think enough is enough.
It’s time.  It’s almost been three years.  I’ve decided to prioritize the organic certification paperwork.  Over and above grant writing, over and above any other paperwork.  So that we can roll that word around in our mouths slowly, loudly, with a gentle pause between each of the three mighty syllables.

No comments:

Post a Comment